Monday, March 7, 2011

What does your Team see: Power or a Person?

Here is a question I heard this weekend for all you Leaders, Managers & Supervisors out there:

Does your team see you as a Person or do they just see Power?

If they see you as a Person they are much more likely to trust, respect and succeed for you. If they only see Power they may reclude into an environment of fear, hiding, hesitancy and failure.

Jack Welch, CEO of General Electric once said the secret to his success was "When I get power, I give it away"

Jack, by his 40 year distinguished track record shows that he gets it.

A leader's job is to lay down clear and challenging expectations of their people and equip them for success. Great leaders, once they've done that, let go. Yes they are there for advice, counsel and equipping but they won't just take over the game from an employee when they struggle.

The power of consequences, not the power of position will help protect the interests of the company, department and team of getting things done and done right.

That's great news because as a leader it takes the pressure off. Cheer them on, equip them with expectations and tools and give them the power to decide their future. That lets you present yourself as a person who cares about their success and wants to dialogue on how to continue to make it happen.

When employees own their future .. great things happen. Most Owners try not to let a business fail.

Have a great week!

David
"Your Man with the Plan" for Better Teams and Better Results.

Here are some attendee reviews from my most recent workshops:

"David, Your expertise shines through with your passion and you are a great mentor!"

"Very positive. Fun to be around and you made the day fly by. Thanks for all you do."

"Great level of energy and passion. Knowledgeable about the topic. I learned alot! Loved the positivity and the feedback."

"I leave with a very positive outlook on the changes I can/will implement at my workplace from this course. Changes in me that will make a huge difference to my team."

Call me at (403) 874-1044 or email me at david@marketbeamer.com
to talk about bringing powerful training to your teams in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment